Thursday, June 25, 2009

Garlic scapes and putting food away

Arlene Kroeker's article in today's Richmond Review reminded me that my own garlic scapes needed to be harvested.

I love using the chopped up scapes in stir fries and soups but I had so many this year that I knew I wouldn't be able to use them all before they begin going off.

Luckily, Lise Batcheller, fermenting queen extraordinaire, showed me how to ferment veggies last year.

I had some left over liquid from last year's fermented cukes that I filled a jar about 1/4 way with.



I added layers of chopped scapes and grape leaves (you can use the leaves to make dolmades afterwards). Filled the jar to the top, added 2 Tbsp of kosher salt, and filled it with water. The final trick is to use a cut out from a margarine or yogurt tub to keep all the veggies under water and voila!

In a week, the scapes will be fermented and will sit in my fridge all year round, ready to use for the upcoming 10-mile-diet.

For anyone who is looking for scapes, Jose from JPS Greenhouse at Blundell and Sidaway has them right now as will the first Pocket Market at the Richmond Hospital on Friday, July 3rd.

No comments:

Post a Comment